Politically independent with a legal mandate
The BFU is a private foundation with a statutory mandate to prevent accidents by raising awareness and promoting general safety precautions. As a specialist body, the BFU is wholly committed to safety and acts independently of individual political and economic agendas. The BFU’s activities are primarily funded through a surcharge, determined by the Federal Council, on statutory non-occupational accident premiums. Additional funding comes from the Road Safety Fund and self-generated income.
Acting with foresight: The Executive Board
The Executive Board is the highest governing body at an operational level and represents the BFU externally. It is headed by Dr. Stefan Siegrist; the other members are responsible for the BFU’s five main areas of activity.
- Stefan Siegrist, Dr. phil., EMBA, Managing Director (third from left)
- Regula Hartmann, lic. rer. pol., BSc Psychology, Deputy Managing Director, Head of Home and Sport (third from right)
- Jürg Beutler, lic. phil. I, Head of Communications (first from left)
- Mario Cavegn, lic. phil., Head of Road Traffic (first from right)
- Kurt Fellinger, Business Economist FH, Head of Finances and Support (second from left)
- Annick Rywalski, Head of Municipalities and Companies (as of 2019-10-01, not present )
Setting the course: The Board of Trustees
The Board of Trustees is the BFU’s strategic organ. It comprises 9 members who represent the various demands made on accident prevention.
Felix Weber, lic. oec. HSG, Chairman of the Management Board, Swiss National Accident Insurance Fund (Suva), Lucerne; representing Suva
Christoph Bühler, Head of Personal Insurance, Member of the Management Board, Zürich Insurance Company Ltd; representing the Swiss Insurance Association (SIA)
- Samuel Grossenbacher, Head of Market, Centre, Die Mobiliar, Bern; representing the Swiss Insurance Association (SIA)
- Philippe Gassmann, Head of Prevention Services; representing Suva
- Irène Hänsli, Specialist for Accident Insurance and Sickness Benefits, (SIA) representing the Swiss Insurance Association (SIA)
- Charles-Albert Hediger, Entrepreneur, representing SUVA
- Martina Keller, Head of Group Personal Insurance, AXA, representative of other insurers
- Marc Lambert, Head of Claims KTG/AIA, Senior Management, Groupe Mutuel, representing the Swiss Insurance Association (SIA)
- Edith Müller Loretz, Head of Health Protection and Member of the Management Board, Suva; representing Suva
- Christine Michel, Specialist Secretary for Health Protection, Unia; representing Suva
- Pascal Richoz, Head of Working Conditions Division, State Secretariat for Economic Affairs (SECO); representing Suva
Organisation chart: working hand in hand for safety
The BFU has a committed, highly skilled team of specialists with over 130 members of staff. Most of them work at the foundation’s headquarters in Berne. The organisation chart concentrates this expertise, thus enabling an efficient and effective work environment.